This is a special Bengali meal I cooked on a very special occasion.
It was my husband's birthday and I ran out of ideas to get a gift for him.
We Bengali love to eat and I thought what can I do to make a good meal
for his birthday. So I thought of this crazy, yummy idea of presenting
him with a big fat Bengali meal.
Bengali cuisine is too vast and varied that it is physically impossible for
someone to cover the entire breadth of it, however, I tried to cover as many
representative dishes as possible. Also I had to keep in mind that my husband could eat or at least be able to taste all the items I cook J so what I did was picked the items I could get in our local Indian grocery store and cook the meal. It took me two evenings to prepare this meal.
Here is a list of items that I have in the photo above.
1. Bhat (Plain white rice )
2. Phulkopi bhaja (Cauliflower fry)
3. Kumro bhaja (Butternut squash fry)
4. Begun bhaja (Brinjol fry)
5. Alu Bhaja (Potato fry)
6. Ilish maach er dim bhaja (Fried hilsha eggs)
7. Mung dal (Lentil soup)
8. Bhindi Masala
9. Egg Curry
10. Ilish maach er jhal (Hilsa in mustard sauce)
11. Pomfret fish fry
13. Red onion
15. Green chilly
16. Kosha mansho (Mutton curry)
17. Chingri maache er malai curry (Prawns in coconut sauce)
18. Semai er payesh (Vermicelli milk pudding)
20. Chocolate cake
22. Misty Doi (Sweet yogurt)
23. Glass of water
Soon I will start uploading the recipes (the ones I cooked) as well.